Walker Art Center is seeking a Chief Guard to help maintain the security and safety of the museum, visitors and staff, while placing the highest priority on customer service. Will have supervisory responsibilities of the Gallery Assistant team.
- Maintain Safety & Security: monitor and pro-actively take steps to protect museum, collection and all Walker assets; establish clear understanding of security requirements/needs of each exhibition; report and document art damage to the Registration Department as well as Curators; familiar with all Walker security systems (camera system, access control, fire and burglar systems, etc.); monitor physical condition of museum and communicates concerns as directed; familiar with all emergency procedures and able to take charge in a variety of potential emergency or crisis situations; communicate with maintenance staff, as needed.
- Supervise Gallery Assistants: assist with orientations, training, development and coaching; ensure Frontline expectations are met by giving ongoing performance feedback; provide information regarding exhibitions, programming, activities, daily events and other museum information; assign Gallery Assistants to ensure proper gallery coverage to protect collection; work with Manger of Operations Administration on scheduling, as needed.
- Customer Service: provide an inclusive and welcoming environment by embracing the diversity of others and placing highest priority on customer service; acknowledge and greet visitors and staff in friendly, welcoming manner; pro-actively address needs of guests and work through concerns in a professional, empathetic and understanding way; partner and support Frontline Strategic Plan; work closely with Visitor Services, EPP, Facility Rental and Operations.
Schedule and Compensation:
- Full-time (35 hours) with flexibility to work evenings and weekends required.
- $16-17/hour, dependent on experience; Excellent benefits package, Walker membership, museum discounts, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals and support remarkable artists, events and programming.
- Strong supervisory and communication skills as well as the ability to work with diverse visitors/groups; demonstrate flexibility, initiative, strong work ethic, and the highest level of integrity and professionalism with strong emphasis on customer service.
- Excellent decision making skills. Proven ability to show good judgment in stressful or unexpected situations (emergencies, customer service issues, etc.), and to respond effectively in dealing with staff and visitors regarding safety and security of facility; exercise tact and diplomacy at all times while remaining calm under pressure.
- Proficient working knowledge in use of various security system and routines: monitoring equipment, access control; knowledge of computers, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel), preferred.
- Effective work and time management skills to successfully manage multiple tasks and balance conflicting priorities.; work collaboratively and cohesively with other Operations leadership and staff.
- 1-2 years of experience in security or monitoring situations required; high school diploma required.
To Apply: Please email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Strong internal candidate has been identified, but all applications will be considered.
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace as well as increasing diversity in our workforce. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.