The Walker is seeking a Design Fellow to work on graphic design projects that range from developing graphic identities for specific programs and exhibitions, including the design of all related collateral materials, to assisting the Design Director and other designers with long-term projects such as exhibition catalogues and promotional campaigns. This individual will also contribute writing to the design department blog.
Design Fellows are involved in all aspects of the design process, including client meetings and presentations through production and supervision of printing. They gain a deeper understanding of design; work on projects with rich, interesting content; and are expected to produce work to the highest standards of design excellence.
Ideal candidates will be firmly grounded in visual design principles and the print design process, with some experience in interaction design. In addition to print projects such as exhibition identities and collateral materials, the Fellow will also work on select projects such as the British ad awards materials, online publishing initiatives, small campaigns, and signage. More information about fellowship specifics can be found here: https://walkerart.org/visit/studio/
- An undergraduate or graduate degree, or equivalent knowledge, in graphic design is required
- Work reflective of interest in contemporary arts and current cultural trends
- Macintosh proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator software and excellent typographic skills are required
- Good communication and organizational skills and the proven ability to meet tight deadlines
- Diverse backgrounds and/or studies are strongly encouraged. In the Walker’s terms, diversity refers to a wide spectrum of people of color, people with disabilities, age, gender, and other classifications
- International candidates must be in possession of a valid US work visa prior to the start of the fellowship and for the entire fellowship period
Schedule & Compensation:
Full-time; August 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019; $30,000/year with up to $2,000 for relocation, excellent benefits package, Walker membership and discounts, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals as well as support some remarkable artists, events, and programming.
For Consideration: Please send complete applications materials* as MS Word or PDF attachments (no larger than 19 MB) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Applications materials must include:
- Letter of interest
- Names of 3 references
- PDF portfolio consisting of 8-10 samples of graphic design work.
Application Deadline: Return materials as soon as possible; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received by May 18, 2018. We respectfully ask that there be no phone calls or follow-up emails.
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace as well as increasing diversity in our workforce. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.