WALKER ART CENTER
2018 Internship Opportunity
Walker Art Center is seeking a Graphic Design Intern to primarily assist the Design Department’s team of graphic designers with creative and design projects, production tasks, or research for future projects. Interns will also occasionally provide assistance to the Design Department’s Design Director, Sr. Image Specialist, Studio Manager, and Editors.
The ideal candidate will have a keen awareness and interest in contemporary graphic design, typography, design for the web, and knowledge of contemporary art and culture. Design layout skills, plus fluency with web design (including design for social media), are essential.
- Assist with design and production of various printed matter for Walker exhibitions and events
- Involvement in all aspects of the design process from client meetings and comp presentations through production and supervision of printing.
- Assist with the design and production of assets for webpages and blog posts on the Walker’s website and other social media platforms when needed
- Aid in documenting both the printed matter and the digital output of the Walker’s design department
- Other department projects and duties as assigned
- Educational background or strong proficiency within graphic design, typography, web design, and design for digital media
- Excellent attention to detail
- Skills in visual and content research
- Experimental attitude toward graphic design and a desire to learn more about the wide array of platforms in which graphic design plays a role
- Interest in culture, contemporary art, moving image art, performing arts, new media, and architecture
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software (particularly InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Bridge) and WordPress
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team setting and under tight deadlines
COMPENSATION: If the applicant has the option to use the internship for course credit, Walker Art Center will work with the university to fulfill requirements, as possible. While this is an unpaid internship, interns will receive a free Walker membership, free gallery admission, and discounts in the Walker’s restaurant and Shop. Garage parking costs reimbursed. Complimentary tickets to select events may also be available.
HOURS & DURATION: 12-15 hrs/wk minimum, schedule to be determined; January 16 through April 20, 2018
TO APPLY: Please submit a PDF (not to exceed 10MB) that includes a letter of interest, a résumé with the names and contact information of 3 references, and a portfolio containing 8–10 examples of graphic design work to: email@example.com.
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace as well as increasing diversity in our workforce. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.