As part of our blog series Family Reads in the Open Field we’re rolling out reading lists for families to enjoy all summer long, as provided by local artists, artist-parents, and creative kids. Books selected from the reading lists, as well as radios, backyard games, and other fun stuff is available for check-out at the Open Field Tool Shed.
This week’s list is provided by Deborah Girdwood, who curates and presents “Childish Films” for the Library Foundation of Hennepin County, the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Film Festival, and Sound Unseen International Duluth. She also works at the Children’s Theatre Company, which is a hop, skip, and a jump from her home where she lives with artist Kevin Beaudin and her two daughters, Ivy and Ursula. She has been reading children’s books out loud every night since 1998.
Check out Deborah’s top 10 picks:
1. George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends by James Marshall
2. Stay Up Late, from a song by David Byrne; pictures by Maira Kalman
3. Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran; illustrated by Barbara Cooney
4. Little Bear by Elsa Holmelund Minarik, illustrations by Maurice Sendak
5. Jenny and the Cat Club by Esther Averill
6. Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More To Life, story and pictures by Maurice Sendak
7. Catwings: A Catwings Tale, by Ursula K. Le Guin, illustrations by S. D. Schindler
8. The Cricket In Times Square by George Selden, drawings by Garth Williams
9. Ronia The Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren
10. The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich