Midway Contemporary Art’s Monster Drawing Rally, the popular annual fundraiser/community event/spectacle is back for a sixth year. This year the event returns to the Grain Belt Bottling House on Saturday, January 18th from 6-8. The Monster Drawing Rally gives local artists the opportunity to support the programming at Midway Contemporary Art while simultaneously gaining exposure within the community. The artists work in three one-hour rounds beginning at 6pm, 7pm and 8pm. Each of the completed drawings is available for sale as soon as it hits the wall (first come/ first serve) for a flat price of $35. The casual atmosphere lets visitors watch the art making process while keeping a close eye on the walls filled with finished drawings available for purchase. Even if you are not in the market for art, its still an unique opportunity to interact and watch local artists at work. And as always, admission is free.
By now most of you know the format, but for any first-time Monster Drawing Rally attendees here are some tips to make your evening a success.
1. There are three one-hour rounds with approximately 30 or so local artists drawing for each shift.
2. This is a rare opportunity to watch and interact with an artist as they are working. I have personally participated as an artist ever year of the event, I can say it is an interesting experience from the other side of the table as well. No hiding your miscues with an attentive audience and there is a wonderful satisfaction is a meeting someone that has excitedly purchased one of your drawings.
3. All the work is a flat fee of $35. However, drawings may not be purchased, claimed, or snatched prior to hitting the wall. Conflicts or ties for purchasing a work will be resolved by drawing cards. Fighting, hoarding, hovering, or any other bad collector behavior will be sternly frowned upon.
4. At $35 you WILL find something you want to buy.
5. When you purchase the piece you will also get the contact information for the artist. If you don’t get a chance to meet them or talk to them at the event…contact them and let them know you bought their work. Artist love to meet people who invested in their work….we really do.
6. This is one of the most community driven and art centered fundraisers in the city and one of the most popular. This is also an event the rewards people that show up early and stay throughout…so plan accordingly.
7. Its a lot of fun.
Drawing rounds begin at 6, 7, and 8pm
Admission is free
Drawings are $35
Cash bar / Potter’s Pasties & Pies Food Truck
All proceeds benefit Midway’s 2014 programming