Just in time for the holidays the annual Midway Contemporary Art Monster Drawing Rally arrives on December 17th for a night of community art making (mixed with some gawking) and an amazing opportunity to purchase art by local artists.
For the last three years The Monster Drawing Rally has given artists living in the Twin Cities the opportunity to support Midway while simultaneously gaining exposure within the community. Over 60 artists generously donate their time and talent by drawing live at the event during three one-hour rounds beginning at 6pm, 7pm and 8pm. Each of their drawings is available immediately for sale (first come/ first serve) for a flat price of $35. The casual atmosphere lets visitors watch the art making process while keeping a close eye on the walls filled with finished drawings available for purchase.
1. There are three one-hour rounds with approximately twenty local artists working each shift.
2. This is a rare opportunity to watch and interact with an artist as they are working. As a past and current artist myself, I can say it is an interesting experience from the other side of the table as well. No hiding your miscues with an attentive audience.
3. All the work is a flat fee of $35. However, drawings may not be purchased, claimed, or snatched prior to hitting the wall. Conflicts or ties for purchasing a work will be resolved by drawing cards. Fighting, hoarding, hovering, or any other bad collector behavior will be sternly frowned upon.
4. Impulse purchasing is encouraged.
5. When you purchase the piece you will also get the contact information for the artist. If you don’t get a chance to meet them or talk to them at the event…contact them and let them know you bought their work. Artist love to meet people who invested in their work.
6. This year features an artist designed glass to hold your beverage as you mingle around the event for only $5. So there is no good excuse not to leave with at lease one artwork.
7. This is one of the most community driven and artistic centric fundraisers in the city. Not one to be missed.
Over the next few days we will release the names of all the participating artists with links to their websites so you can do a little pre-rally research and maybe discover some new talent in your community.
Sarah Ann Baker
Koren Beck Tomlinson
Saturday, December 17, 2011
6 – 10 PM
Midway Contemporary Art
527 Second Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
For more information please visit: www.midwayart.org/events/mdr4/
Drawings are $35 each
Souvenir cups are $5 each