It is Monster Drawing Rally time again… one of the most anticipated, accessible and loved art fundraisers in recent memory. The event takes place on Saturday, January 22nd at Midway Contemporary Art from 5-9pm. This year’s lineup includes 50 Twin Cities-based artists, spanning a variety of styles, approaches and reputations. If you missed the prior Drawing Rally events, here is what to expect.
- The event is free to attend and not to be missed for the spectacle and entertainment value alone.
- The gallery will be cleared to make space for rows of drawing tables and the creations from the participating artists.
- Artists draw for an hour each in four waves, producing as many (or few) drawings are they can during that period.
- As drawings are completed, gallery staff takes the works, places them in a plastic bags and hangs them in open spaces of gallery wall.
- Once the drawing hits the wall it may be purchased for a flat fee of $35.
- Drawings may not be purchased, claimed of snatched prior to hitting the wall. Conflicts or ties for purchasing a work will be resolved by drawing cards. Fighting, hoarding, hovering or any other bad collector behavior will be sternly frowned upon.
As a past participating artist, I can also add a couple things from the artist’s perspective.
- It is a lot of fun with a bit of chaos thrown in.
- Its great to meet people who appreciate your work and enjoy watching you create…. and also rewarding to finish a piece and see someone lock on, follow it, and snag it the minute it hits the wall.
- It is nerve racking to make work with an audience.
- Its one of the most energetic, generous and concentrated gatherings of local artists all year!
That is it. The joy of the event is the ability to meet talented local artists, have a unique glimpse into their creative process and most of all have a great time while supporting a deeply valued art resource (all proceeds will go directly toward Midway’s programming and education events in 2011) So come out and add a work to your personal collection or just cheer on your favorite local artist.
Here is the official lineup for the 3rd Annual Monster Drawing Rally.
A.Caillier & M.Mott, John Alspach, Emily Atchison, Sarah Baker, Matt Bakkom, Rich Barlow, Ute Bertog, Levi Budd, Lander Burton, Jennifer Danos, Andy Ducett, Monica Edwards Larson, Welles Emerson, Katelyn Farstad, John Fleischer, David Frolich, Isa Gagarin, Luke Grothe, Brett Gustafson, Noah Harmon, Jay Heikes, Nick Howard, Val Jenkins, Rick Johannisson, Caroline Kent, Tynan Kerr & Andie Mazorol, Steven Lang, Chris Larson, David Lefkowitz, Melissa Loop, Suzanne Mahoney, Rob McBroom, Miles Mendenhall, Liz Miller, Ruben Nusz, Natasha Pestich, David Petersen, Melba Price, Crystal Quinn, Chad Rutter, Megan Rye, Jenny Schmid, Josi Severson, Sean Smuda, Aaron Spangler, Scott Stulen, Tony Sunder, Bruce Tapola, John Vogt, Nate Young
Here is the schedule of artists to plan your evening or attack.
Emily Atchison, Matt Bakkom, Rich Barlow, Welles Emerson, Nick Howard, Val Jenkins, Rick Johannisson, Chris Larson, David Lefkowitz, Liz Miller, Josi Severson, Jenny Schmid, Sean Smuda
John Alspach, Ute Bertog, A.Caillier & M.Mott, Jennifer Danos, John Fleischer, David Frohlich, Brett Gustafson, Melissa Loop, Natasha Pestich, Melba Price, Megan Rye, Nate Young
Katelyn Farstad, Noah Harmon, Caroline Kent, Steven Lang, Monica Edwards Larson, Suzanne Mahoney, Ruben Nusz, David Petersen, Bruce Tapola, Tony Sunder, John Vogt, Aaron Spangler
Sarah Ann Baker, Levi Budd, Lander Burton, Andy Ducett, Isa Gagarin, Luke Grothe, Jay Heikes, Tynan Kerr, Rob McBroom, Miles Mendenhall, Scott Stulen, Chad Rutter, Crystal Quinn
Sponsored by the Aster Cafe