We had a mini crisis here in NMI with our Dialog Table. The computer had a melt down. We got the call at around 4:30 on a Friday afternoon and Nate our webmaster set out trying to diagnose it.
The table is back up and running now, there are complete details after the jump.
A look at the logs show that one side of the Dialog table had been restarting itself constantly for a few days and then when we got the call it was not running at all. Nate took it back here to 1 Groveland to open it up. He took out the power supply first and rigged it up to an old servers supply. It powered up but wouldn’t stay running.
Some more testing and he had the problem isolated to the motherboard. Since we needed a new motherboard and power supply Nate just bought a whole new case, copied our hard drive and put it into the new case. You can see the transfer in action here.
The new case is metallic not black like the old one and we moved it over to test it out in a back room.
The new case is a couple centimeters longer than the old one. That provided a few tense minutes trying to wiggle the new machine into place. In the end it all fit with some pushing and cord wrangling although in the longer term we may need to cut a notch or two into the wooden cross support to allow a centimeter or two more wiggle room. Also you can see in the shot the heat vent from the projector pointing out right near the computer case. Those projectors generate a ton of heat and a lot of heat leaks onto the computer which may have been an extra problem. We are going to get that sealed a little better to help the air flow more directly out of the table top.
Everything has been running smoothly for a few days after we worked with Jakub to address a sound driver isssue with the new machine. So come on by and use the table again. It works on both sides.