Open Field Activity: Spin with the Whorling Spinsters
Activity Description: Want your moment of zen? Discover spinning, the ancient craft that is relaxing, fun, and earth- and farmer-friendly. Watch or join the Whorling Spinsters as they spin yarn from natural fibers on spinning wheels and drop spindles. Feel free to bring your own equipment, or try spinning on a spindle.
Date of Activity: July 10th, 1-3pm
Check it out on the Open Field calendar of events!
1) What’s your favorite public space, in the Twin Cities or beyond?
The Whorling Spinsters’ favorite public space is the Minnesota State Fair – they have been demonstrating there for decades. Over the last few years they’ve also enjoyed meeting at Minnehaha Falls.
2) How did you find out about Open Field and why did you decide to host your own activity on Open Field?
We found out about Open Field last year through local media. We wanted to participate in Open Field to invite new people to share in the activity we enjoy so much.
3) If you could learn any skill on Open Field, what would it be?
Yarnbombing/Knitting Graffiti [Editor’s note: Be sure to check out The Swatch Team, a group of fiesty knitters that meet weekly at Open Field. They’re planning to create a yarn bombing installation on Open Field September 1st!]
4) What is the ideal audience for your Open Field activity?
Crafters of all ages
5) If Open Field had a mascot, who/what would it be?
Art tractor (ala art car)