Need an antidote to the recession blues? Wondering what to do on your summer stay-cation? Look no further than the Walker and Minneapolis Sculpture Garden where free-wheelin’ fun times await you on the 4th of July. From 10 am to 3 pm enjoy free gallery admission, a daylong outdoor concert, an art bike parade and contest, art-making activities, hula-hooping workshops, and a Wolfgang Puck garden grill to get your independent spirit soaring-all part of a special holiday edition of Free First Saturday, called “Fantastic Fourth!” Be sure to decorate your bike at home in red, white, and blue flair, and bring it with you to enter the bike parade that kicks off at noon near the Spoonbridge and Cherry. Winners will be announced at 1 pm at the main stage. All ages are welcome! In case that’s not a clear enough case for why the Walker should be your holiday destination, check out my top ten list of reasons why to take advantage of the all-access pass to summer fun:
2. This is way easier than a week-end camping trip up north
3. Rumor has it there may be dippin’ dots at the Garden Grill by Wolfgang Puck
4. Ever tried making spin art with a salad spinner? (Nope, we haven’t either, but we’re hoping this DIY project works out.)
5. Where else can you get a 1,200 pound cherry in the backdrop of your family snapshot?
6. Can’t afford air conditioning, come inside the building and enjoy ours (wow, and there’s art too!)
7. See Grandma hula-hoop like nobody’s business
8. There’s about 12 hours to kill before the fireworks go off
9. Discover the magic of aluminum foil: bike decor by day, grill grate cover by night
10. Because we’re the only art center in town holding a party just for you!