A spiral bridge over the Mississippi River was built in 1895 that was designed to slow horse-drawn traffic from the opposite side of the river as it entered downtown Hastings, Minnesota. The distinctive spiral design also served to bring travelers down to Second Street in the city’s main business district rather than over it. Although different people claim to have designed the bridge, including elevator owner John Meloy, it is not attributable at this time. The novel design became a tourist attraction and icon for the town, but was demolished in 1951 because it could not accommodate the size and weight of modern vehicles. A scale replica of the bridge can be seen at the Little Log House Pioneer Village, just south of the town.