Established in 2019, the Walker Art Center’s Education Council brings together Walker members and patrons, community advocates, and education professionals who share a passion for arts access and education. The group is intended to educate, promote social exchange, and provide insight into the Walker’s Public Engagement, Learning, and Impact Department as well as community partnerships and social impact. The Council serves as a forum for dialogue and learning as participants advance their own interest and passion for broadening access to creativity and learning at every stage of life.
The Education Council is open to all Walker members and patrons, with an annual minimum contribution of $500 on top of membership dues. Council members meet up to six times per fiscal year. Events are centered around learning opportunities that encompass distinct elements, including tours and opportunities to connect with Head of Public Engagement, Learning, and Impact Nisa Mackie; hear from visiting artists, community partners, and speakers from the education sector; and join special events and receptions throughout the year.
Education Council members will:
- Provide financial support for Walker’s Public Engagement, Learning, and Impact.
- Raise awareness and facilitate connections locally and nationally.
- Share feedback on accessibility, community engagement, and partnerships.
Education Council members will receive:
- Invitations to around six events each year to learn about and experience the Walker’s teaching and arts facilitation strategies.
- Opportunities to interact with other Council members, Walker leaders, artists, and partners.
- Special access to educator trainings for exhibitions throughout the year.
- Public Engagement, Learning, and Impact collateral.
Walker Staff Liaisons
- Nisa Mackie, Head of Public Engagement, Learning, and Impact
- Sean O’Donnell, Development Associate, Institutional Giving
Education Council Chair
- Dr. Simone Ahuja, Walker trustee and founder of Blood Orange Advisory Group
Education Council 2019–2020 Season Events
- Education Council Fall Event: The impact of Sensory Friendly Sundays and Dr. Betsy Maloney Leaf on the Walker’s Cultural Experience Partnership 6th grade animation
- Art School: Interpretation: Connect with Walker’s Education and Public Programs Director and Curator Nisa Mackie, and Walker’s Interpretation Fellow Alexandra Nicome
in Esker Grove before and afterwards in the galleries for this popular membership series.
- Mack Lecture Series: Ron Jonson: Complimentary tickets to Ron Jonson’s Mack
Lecture talk followed by an intimate reception afterwards. This event was postponed for
- Education Council Spring Event: This event was cancelled for COVID-19 precautions.
- Virtual Event: Digital Engagement in Response to a Changing Landscape.
For more information about the Education Council, please contact email@example.com or 612-375-7643.