The Walker is pleased to announce that its 2018–2019 Mildred Friedman Design Fellowship is now open for applications. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received by May 18, 2018.
Since 1980, the Walker’s Design department has maintained a graphic design fellowship program that provides recent graduates the opportunity to work in a professional design studio environment. Selected from a highly competitive pool of applicants, fellows come from graphic design programs throughout the United States and abroad representing a diverse range of design programs, such as Art Center College of Design, California Institute of the Arts, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Ecole cantonale d’art de Lausanne, Minneapolis College of Art and Design, NC State University, Rhode Island School of Design, Royal College of Art, Werkplaats Typografie, and Yale University, among many others.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
The Design Fellow will work on graphic design projects that range from developing graphic identities for specific programs and exhibitions, including the design of all related collateral materials, to assisting the Design Director and other designers with long-term projects such as exhibition catalogues and promotional campaigns. This individual will also contribute writing to the design department blog.
Design Fellows are involved in all aspects of the design process, including client meetings and presentations through production and supervision of printing. They gain a deeper understanding of design; work on projects with rich, interesting content; and are expected to produce work to the highest standards of design excellence.
Ideal candidates will be firmly grounded in visual design principles and the print design process, with some experience in interaction design. In addition to print projects such as exhibition identities and collateral materials, the Fellow will also work on select projects such as the British ad awards materials, online publishing initiatives, small campaigns, and signage. More information about fellowship specifics can be found here: https://walkerart.org/visit/studio/
• An undergraduate or graduate degree, or equivalent knowledge, in graphic design is required
• Work reflective of interest in contemporary arts and current cultural trends
• Macintosh proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator software and excellent typographic skills are required
• Good communication and organizational skills and the proven ability to meet tight deadlines
• Diverse backgrounds and/or studies are strongly encouraged. In the Walker’s terms, diversity refers to a wide spectrum of people of color, people with disabilities, age, gender, and other classifications
• International candidates must be in possession of a valid US work visa prior to the start of the fellowship and for the entire fellowship period
SCHEDULE & COMPENSATION
Fellows are salaried, full-time employees and are involved in all aspects of the design process, including client meetings and presentations through production and development.
DURATION OF FELLOWSHIP: August 1, 2018–July 31, 2019
COMPENSATION: $30,000/year with up to $2,000 for relocation, excellent benefits package, Walker membership and discounts, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals as well as support some remarkable artists, events, and programming.
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration, submit the following materials by PDF attachments only:
1. A letter of interest
2. A resume
3. Names and contact information of three references
4. A PDF portfolio containing 8–10 examples of graphic design work (total file size can be no larger than 19 MB, otherwise your file will be rejected).
For consideration: Please send complete applications materials* as MS Word or PDF attachments (no larger than 19 MB) to: email@example.com
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace as well as increasing diversity in our workforce. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.